Careers at the Hilliard Museum
The Paul and Lulu Hilliard University Art Museum (HUAM) is located at the edge of the University of Louisiana (UL) campus in Lafayette, Louisiana.
The museum is comprised of two buildings, the original 1967 A. Hays Town plantation-style house (3,100 sq. ft.) and the newer state-of-the-art
Hilliard Museum with three exhibition galleries (11,000 sq. ft. of exhibition space) and a gift shop featuring crafts by local artists. The
museum’s collection features approximately 2,000 objects including European and American painting, Japanese prints, folk art and a collection
of Egyptian art. The museum works collaboratively with the university’s nine colleges – including the College of Arts - as well as with local,
national and international partners to present exhibitions and programs on the art of our time.With a student population of approximately 18,000
and the culturally-rich community of Acadiana around us, we celebrate the creative spirit that infuses every aspect of life here from food
and drink to music, art and dance.
Job Category: Unclassified
Job Description:The Volunteer Manager recruits, trains, supervises, schedules and coordinates the museum’s volunteers (currently
25 people). He/she confers with museum staff on volunteer-staffing needs for school/group tours and events; assigns work, schedule and monitors
volunteers’ performance; and serves as the liaison between museum staff and volunteers. The position reports to the Store Manager/Visitor Services.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop monthly schedule of volunteer support for tours and events
- Recruit new volunteers through community outreach
- Work with museum staff (Educator, Event coordinator, Security Guard) to develop and implement training for new volunteers
- Maintain regular communication with volunteers to keep them apprised of their role as ambassadors for the museum in the community
- Update Membership Manager so that membership benefits are provided to volunteers that meet their work quota
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of database management and other software programs
- Knowledge of volunteer coordination, including recruitment, training, and placement
- Ability to motivate volunteers and increase community involvement
- Ability to communicate verbally and through writing to volunteers and co-workers in person and on the telephone.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Friendly disposition
- Interest in arts and education
- Hourly rate commensurate with Experience
- Flexible hours not to exceed 20 hrs/week.Some evenings and weekends required.
- Send a cover letter, resume and three professional references to Cami Joseph at email@example.com.