From the Director
It's springtime at the Hilliard Museum and we are bursting with excitement over our current and upcoming exhibitions and programs. Part of the
energy that has permeated our programs this year is form our numerous collaborations across campus and within the community.
This spring, in addition to two exhibitions curated by Dr. Christopher Bennett, Assistant Professor of Art History at UL Lafayette's College of
the Arts, we partnered with faculty on public programs including among others:
- The Art of the Blues organized by Dr. Jeffrey George, Professor of Guitar Studies
- !Women Art Revolution, a film screening in partnership with the Women's Conference and the Office for Campus Diversity
- The Politics of Place, a panel discussion organized by Dr. Pearson Cross, Associate Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Associate Professor
of Political Science
Off-campus, we presented programs with community partners including among others:
- Play Day, a free day of creative and educational activities for families presented with the Lafayette Chinese American Association and Raising
- Ancient Songs in the Galleries presented by musicians Ashana Sophia and Michael Doucet
- Tattooed Walls, a partnership with Festival International presented artists' drawings projected onto the museum with live music and food
And coming soon is our first international partnership with Lafayette's sister city, Le Cannet and Musée Bonnard. The Hilliard Museum is the exclusive
venue for an exhibition of works by the French Post-Impressionist painter from May 27 - August 12, 2017. The show will be accompanied by French-themed
programs including wine tastings, French language tours and more. Community partners have joined us in this celebration of Francophile culture
unique to Lafayette: Vermilionville will host bilingual guided tours of the village and the Bayou Vermilion and Acadiana Center for the Arts
will present an exhibition titled French Connection from the collection of Father Paul Bienvenu. It's a great summer for a staycation in Lafayette!
And September is a great time for a vacation! Members are invited to join us for an exclusive ten-day trip to France with stops in Paris, Giverny,
Aix en Provence, and the French Riviera where we will be received by the Mayor of Le Cannet and visit the home of Pierre Bonnard. See page
18 for more detailed information on our itinerary.
On behalf of our staff, boards and the University, I want to express our gratitude. In times like these when federal and state funding for the
arts, museums and education are under scrutiny, your role as a member is all the more vital. Thank you for your commitment to assuring that
the arts, education and inspiration are accessible to our community.
Louanne Greenwald | Director of the Paul and Lulu Hilliard University Art Museum